This is a new edition of the first volume of G.P.Baker and P.M.S. Hackers definitive reference work on Wittgensteins Philosophical Investigations.
- Takes into account much material that was unavailable when the first edition was written.
- Following Bakers death in 2002, P.M.S. Hacker has thoroughly revised the first volume, rewriting many essays and sections of exegesis completely.
- Part One the Essays now includes two completely new essays: 'Meaning and Use' and 'The Recantation of a Metaphysician'.
- Part Two Exegesis 1184 has been thoroughly revised in the light of the electronic publication of Wittgensteins Nachlass, and includes many new interpretations of the remarks, a history of the composition of the book, and an overview of its structure.
- The revisions will ensure that this remains the definitive reference work on Wittgensteins masterpiece for the foreseeable future.