Proven strategies for effective nurse-physician communications
Cultivating positive workplace communications is a proven path to stronger teams and improved patient care, but integrating a collegial model of nurse-physician communications in a complex, multigenerational, and sometimes traditional staff environment can be challenging.
Kathleen Bartholomew's Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-Physician Communications delivers effective strategies for creating a high-functioning work climate through dialogues that are clear and respectful. This easy-to-read handbook provides thoughtful scenarios, exercises, and scripts designed to raise the effectiveness of nurse-physician interactions, to the benefit of all.
Sold in packs of 10, Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-Physician Communications is the perfect tool for staff training, for orientation and in-services, or for self-study.
Table of Contents:
About the Author
Changing the Dynamic
How to Use this Book
Chapter 1: Understanding Work Relationships
Exploring Relationship Types
Try This: Collegial Techniques
Try This: Collaborative Techniques
Try This: Teacher-Student Techniques
Friendly Stranger Relationships
Try This: Friendly Stranger Techniques
Try This: Hostile Techniques
Chapter 2: Taking the Pulse of the Physicians
The Physicians You Work With
Try This: Pulse-Taking Exercise
Preventing Communications with SBAR
Try This: Calling the Attending
Using the Power of Your Name
Try This: Name Recognition
Chapter 3: Taking Your Own Pulse
I Don't Do Conflict
How Do I Really Handle Conflict?
Try This: Conflict Assessment
Our Goal in the Face of Confrontation
How Can You Improve Your Responses?
Try This: Jump Into the Water
Chapter 4: Practical Tools for Everyday Use
A Dozen Dependable Techniques
Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-Physician Communications will: - Provide nurses with evidence-based strategies for improving communication with physicians
- Offer personal stories and scripting for conveying critical information to on-site and on-call physicians through effective, formalized approaches
- Explain how to take the pulse of individual nurse-physician relationships and provide actionable steps to move toward more cooperative and collegial interactions
- Encourage nurses to improve self-esteem and assertiveness through thoughtful and deliberate crucial conversations
- Include useful suggestions for humanizing nurse-physician relationships as a way to build cooperation and collegiality
- Give nurses and their managers affordable, hands-on materials designed to improve the workplace through use in orientation, in-services, and preceptor programs