In order to be compliant with The Joint Commission's requirements of establishing and tracking practitioner competency using measurable data, MSOs must apply and adopt a standard framework defining the dimensions of privileged practitioners' performance.
But just like all healthcare regulations, the focused professional practice evaluation (FPPE) of providers is a process that is constantly changing and being refined. With an evolving provider landscape and commensurate legal findings, knowing how to collect, organize, and document FPPE data is critical for all facilities. Failing to gather and organize sufficient FPPE data in a standardized way presents risks including redundancy, inconsistency across specialties, and inadequate articulations for practitioners regarding their role in FPPE.
The second edition of The FPPE Toolbox: Field-Tested Documents for Credentialing, Competency, and Compliance provides an up-to-date, comprehensive resource with the forms and tools MSOs need to conduct and manage FPPE. This book provides compliant and customizable forms, policies, letters, scorecards, and reports that can be utilized in facilities of all types and sizes. Author Juli Maxworthy, DNP, MSN, MBA, RN, CNL, CPHQ, CPPS, CHSE, shares her expert knowledge so MSPs can create a cohesive competency documentation process at their organization.
This toolbox offers sample tools you can adapt for use in your own facility without making you wade through lengthy background information, including:
- Case studies describing how your peers implemented FPPE
- FPPE policy documents
- FPPE language excerpted from peers' bylaws documents or policies and procedures
- Department-specific proctoring forms
- Inpatient and outpatient proctoring forms
- FPPE documents for HFAP-accredited facilities
- Forms that work for initial appointment and for-cause FPPE, and documents that illustrate the OPPE-FPPE connection
- Notification to a practitioner successful conclusion of provisional staff status and advancement of staff category
- A letter to a physician requesting his or her service as proctor
- Physician competency data scorecards
- Retrospective, concurrent, and prospective proctoring guidelines
- Saves time medical staff offices don't need to develop an FPPE system from scratch or spend hours researching and updating their organizations' outdated forms
- Eliminates the hassle of having to research FPPE forms and policies from multiple sources
- Enables MSPs to download, adapt, and use the most up-to-date FPPE forms at their organization
- Provides tips on implementing the forms and applying FPPE data to credentialing and privileging decisions in the future
- Includes field-tested FPPE policies and forms in use now at medical staff services departments nationwide
Five organizations have FPPE down to a science, and they've shared their policies and forms in this book. These all-new, downloadable forms cover all aspects of FPPE for new applicants and for cause, from proctoring and other practitioner evaluation methods to quality indicators to compliance with The Joint Commission and HFAP standards.